Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Junkman Table - French Ephemera Decoupage

Embracing salvaged pieces transformed into something beautiful!




You have to drop in at the Junk Yard where you will find the The Junkman with his amazing  whatchamacallits, thingamajigs and his famous discounts. You never know what you might find.


As The Junkman would say...

'It’s all road and no bumps when you're headed to the junkyard. What started out as a way to get rid of junk, in my little workshop here at home, has turned into an addiction. I’m now consumed with finding unique and quirky things for the patrons of my ETSY shop. To be honest, some of the junk you’ll see here at my ETSY store, I didn’t even know what it was a couple of years ago.

Well, I called on the famous Junkman when I remembered this table top which was sitting in our storeroom gathering dust. I asked for legs and I got a lot more. Everything below the table top came from The Junkyard. Complete with markings on each individual piece and instructions to put it all together. Amazing!!! I sent some dimensions and a template of the top and received 4 short legs, 4 long legs, the bottom shelf and a piece to go under the table top to make it more sturdy - all the way from Texas. All hubby had to do, was screw all the pieces together and there ya go!

Anyhoo, here is the table before.....


I gave it some loving with a few coats of my old white chalky paint. I then went over to The Graphics Fairy and found an amazing French document, and a dictionary page and decided to decoupage the top. The top is 900 mm in length and I needed a large printable. I found Karens tute Here on how to enlarge images!

I followed the instructions and printed an enlarged image; I played around with size and decided an image printed over 2 pages would be the best for my project. I photocopied a few of the pages that had the image of the stamp on it to use as inlays. I then started the decoupage making sure to line up the 2 sections correctly....easy peasy when you only have 2 puzzle pieces...lol.

Then I added the stamps which I had cut out to size; I used several layers of podge with an inno brush, waiting for each layer to dry before adding the next; each time working in the opposite direction.

Now I had some open spaces to fill; using tracing paper, I traced the design of each open space. I laid each tracing over a dictionary page and cut out the design. Then I used the same decoupaged method as before to insert the dictionary page cut outs.

I then printed a slightly smaller print of the same document and decoupaged it to the bottom shelf of the table. To finish it off I hand sanded the edges of the table and added some Dala antique rub in umber. Now it proudly shows off my collection of glass domes and some other pieces I had!

Thank you Junkman!!!!



Here is a close-up!!!

I am linking up to The Graphics Fairy Brag Monday!


e-voke...to create a -new!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Just wow, the only way to describe this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - wow! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Love how you did the top and thanks for the link to your "Junkman" -- he really DOES have a lot of great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! After I get back from my bike ride I'm going to look through all your posts. I don't want to miss anything. Love your ideas and so glad you stopped by!!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips